Friday, June 24, 2011

Vegan Rosewater Cupcakes




These just sound pretty, so I knew I had to try this recipe (with a few variations) from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for when I was hosting book club. Our book club consists of 7 different, but awesome ladies, so I knew they would love these pink little treats. When gathering ingredients at the grocery store I ran into my first problem, I couldn't find rosewater! I did end up finding a rosewater at another store that had artificial rose flavor but I'm not a big fan of artificial flavoring for baked goods. All I could think about was a gross soapy tasting cupcake. So I decided to make my own rosewater.

Rosewater:
I found an easy recipe online, picked some pretty roses from my fellow blogger Erin's rose bushes and started to make my rosewater. Half way through I realized that I put too much water in the pot, but there was no turning back. So I just plugged on and made it according to the instructions. The end result looked and smelled lovely, but the taste wasn't very strong. Next time I plan to use less water.

These cupcakes are very easy to make, one bowl and not a lot of ingredients, so I whipped up two batches. I did omit the pistachios and the cardamom. They came out very tasty, but they were lacking the faint rosewater taste due to the diluted rosewater. I then made a vegan buttercream frosting and tinted it pink.

HEAT!
I have an older house that does not have central air and the window air for our front room broke. Normally the heat doesn't bother me at all, but I learned that heat and frosting do not mix well. Therefore, instead of fancy frosted cupcakes I had to spoon the frosting on kind of like a glaze, add pink sugar sprinkles and quickly put them in the freezer to set the frosting into place before moving them to the fridge to wait to be eaten. I plan on trying this recipe again with new rosewater, adding the omitted ingredients and less heat! 


-Chrissy

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful!! I look forward to your next creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very proud of you. You are carrying on traditions of my Mom and you don't even realize it. She too, never had air but always baked. Even had to hurry up and put the baked goods in the fridge like you did! And look at the plate you have it on. Right from Scotland. Your cupcakes look great, and I am sure are well apprecated.

    ReplyDelete