Friday, July 8, 2011

Winging it

This week I tried my hand at cooking, kind of.  What I made is a no-bake Martha Stewart recipe, a yogurt and blueberry pie with granola crust.  Since it was Independence Day weekend, I added raspberries as well, to make the whole overall appearance red, white, and blue.

Chrissy is more of the baker in this blogmanship.  I do other things, like cook, can, etc.  I don't really bake or make desserts, it requires more precision and patience than I have.  This recipe seemed like a good, easy one that even I could handle. And, it turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself!

When I started making it, I realized I was lacking a few ingredients; not really unusual for me to discover this partway through a recipe.  The recipe called for butter; I did not have butter, but I did have Olivio Coconut Spread, made with coconut oil that I picked up on a whim the last time I went to the big grocery store.  It seemed to work pretty well. regardless of not being butter.  This was all for the granola crust, which turned out not too badly.

The yogurt/cream cheese filling was a bit more difficult for me.  I could not quite get it smooth.  Mine had bumps in it. Also, I was supposed to use cheesecloth to strain the yogurt, which I did.  However, when I went to use the strained yogurt, it all stuck to the cheesecloth and I couldn't get it off.  I am sure there is a trick to this, but I don't know it.  So I threw that in the trash, and just added the yogurt to the mix.  Maybe this is why it was bumpy?  I used Stonyfield Farms Low Fat French Vanilla yogurt too, instead of plain.

Other than the cheesecloth step, this was a simple, yummy, summery pie to make.  I really enjoyed it, and kept it eating for days.  I am actually going to make it again - I felt like it was a dessert without the unhealthy feelings, since it was essentially a yogurt parfait.  It does have a few things that make it not the healthiest, but it could be worse, right?


-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment