Sunday, July 31, 2011

Beet it!

I love beets, weird I know! I am sure half of you are thinking "gross" and the other half are thinking"never really thought about beets much", so I would like to introduce you to a gateway recipe for liking beets. They are very healthy and can add pretty color to your plate.

First of all if you are thinking of using canned beets - DON"T! You must use fresh beets and roast them yourself. I get the bulk beets at my local farmer's market and they are 69 cents a pound. I suggest you look for bulk beets at your farmer's market, they are cheaper that way and this recipe does not use the stems/leaves so you don't need to pay for them. Look for the ones that are hard like rocks, the softer they are the older they are. Keep them in the fridge if you buy them before you cook them, they go bad quickly in room temp. 



Here is a good instructional site about roasting beets if you have never roasted them before. I put them in at 350 degrees and it usually takes 1 - 1 1/2 hours, but you don't really need to do much while they are in the oven so you can set the timer and go do other things. I find that skinning the beets with a potato peeler before cooking is easier, some people think it is easier to peel them off after, but I had a hard time doing that. You will know the beets are done when you can put a fork in them easily, almost like when a potato is done. Set them aside and let them cool. You can also cook the beets a day or two before and put them in the fridge.

Once they are cool slice them up then cut the slices into four and arrange them on the plate. Drizzle some olive oil on them. Then add some sea salt and pepper. Next add the feta cheese. Don't use a low fat feta, it wont be as good and feta isn't that terrible for diets as far as cheeses go anyway. I actually use a really good french feta from a fantastic shop in Detroit that has just about any kind of cheese you can dream of in stock. So if you are lucky enough to be in Metro Detroit do yourself a favor and stop by Hirt's. Then top with fresh basil and you are done!






---Chrissy

1 comment: